Wednesday 6 October 2010

Louis Vuitton handbag cake

I did it!!!  I managed to create a cake that looked like a Louis Vuitton bag, and the customer was very pleased.  It was quite an achievement.

First I had to bake four cakes (two dark chocolate and two white chocolate) with one tin!!  Equipment is quite expensive, so I have been using what I have.  The cakes turned out very well and I have been using the same recipe for my cupcakes.

Here is the cake un-iced sandwiched together with chocolate buttercream.  This was a very chocolately cake.



I then carved the shape of the bag -



I then had to ice the cake.  My intention was to use white fondant and colour it brown, but that didn't work as the colour did not come out brown enough.  I was advised to use chocolate flavoured fondant which was the exact colour I needed. 

At this point I thought there was no way I was going to make this cake look like a Louis Vuitton bag.  More like a big lump of chocolate on a board!  But someone was expecting it for their birthday celebrations and I couldn't let them down.  So the next thing I did was paint the logos on the cake.  I did this by copying the logos from the Internet and cutting them out in card.  I then used the card as a stencil which I pressed lightly into the fondant to show me where to paint.  This meant that I have to paint the stencilling all at once because once the fondant starts to dry it would crack when I pressed the logo into it.  It took me about three hours to paint all the logos on!!!!  My back was killing me by the end.


So once I'd exhausted myself painting on the logos, I decided to leave the rest until the next day even though that was the delivery day!  I was cutting it fine, but hey, life would be too boring if we didn't take chances!

All that remained was the handles and the decoration of the board (Happy Birthday Chloe).  So bright and early and with a determined attitude I set to work on the handles etc...
and I finished just in time to get it delivered.  It was stressful, but I am glad I did it.  I learnt a lot from doing this cake, and can't wait to do it again.


My next project is my nephew's christening cake for the first week in November so watch this space...

7 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Amazing, so much talent x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Gosh!!!!

    Thats a brilliant Cake!!! Well done Cake Girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved the cake would really like to make it but not sure about tin size and quantity of ingredients' why do all the tutorials skip this information?.

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved the cake would really like to make it but not sure about tin size and quantity of ingredients' why do all the tutorials skip this information?.

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved the cake would really like to make it but not sure about tin size and quantity of ingredients' why do all the tutorials skip this information?.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please can I see how you made those lv designs . Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...